Eric - San Antonio, Texas

It’s often that people look upon the fortunes and opportunities that others have and say, “that person sure is lucky.” My experiences and the experiences of those around me have caused me to respond in a way that corrects this limited way of looking at things. My reply is that most of those people have worked extremely hard to be that “lucky.” What you put into something has a big impact on what will come out- even if the results may take a while.

During my sophomore year in high school, I broke my tibia and fibula in my right leg during a football game. I experienced the worst pain of my life and had to go through surgery, rehabilitation, and tons of make-up work from school. After talking with the doctor about my injuries, my mom informed me that I probably would not be playing football ever again. I was determined not to accept this fate, so I made the decision to do whatever it would take to get me back onto the football field. My leg would often disagree with this decision, sending shooting pains up and down my leg every time I walked around my house. The pain only worsened as my activity level increased. I could not let the pain get in the way of my goals and I kept walking and moving around. When the doctor gave me permission to go to school, I prepared myself for the next set of hurdles. Once at school, I had to go up and down the stairs and through halls of students to get to class. There were times when my leg would bump against someone or something and I had to keep myself from screaming in pain. Some people might have gone back home for fear of having that pain again, but I knew that I had to make it through each day in order to get back into my regular routine and then eventually back into football. As the months passed, my leg became stronger and I learned just how far I could push myself. The physical pain from my leg became overshadowed by the pain I felt when I watched my friends and former teammates playing football. I realized that I had to work back to my pre-injury state so that I could join my friends. Every day I did exercises that strengthened my leg and conditioned the rest of my body. I worked on this until the time was right and the doctor finally gave in to my constant requests to play football. My hard work had paid off.

I believe that in order to have success in your life you must work hard. I have learned this from my family. Next time someone says that a person is lucky, make sure to remind them that it isn’t luck, but actually hard work they should be talking about.