A Family’s Love

Emily - Kent, Ohio

I believe that family is the most important thing in the world. Without my family, I would not feel whole. I believe in continuing to love your family throughout your entire life, through the good and the bad. I believe that your family should always be there for you, and in return you should always be there for your family. I believe that being a family is about your support, love, compassion, and trust for one another.

The one time that I really needed my family the most was when I was admitted to the hospital on Friday, April 13, 2001 after being diagnosed with diabetes. My family stood by my side the entire time and helped me through all the tears, shots, needles, and pain. They stayed with me through the night, and were always there when I awoke. They made me laugh before I cried; they held my hand when I was frightened. I distinctly remember my mom telling me, “Emily, if I could take this away and give it to me instead, I would.” I do not think that I will ever forget her powerful words to me during that dark time of my life. My family reassured me that everything was going to be all right. But above all, they were just there for me, and to me that was enough.

That weekend when I was first diagnosed and the weeks that followed were no doubt the toughest weeks of my life. Even now it is a struggle to be a diabetes girl. Everyday I have to deal with all the shots, and sometimes I just get aggravated with everything that I have to do. But when I feel this way, my mind goes back to my family. I am reminded of their love and compassion for me. Everyday I am reminded of how lucky I truly am to be a part of such a great family. I am reminded that my family will always be there for me, no matter what. I believe that this is what family is about.

I believe that families should not just be there through the rough times, but also through the good and the memorable. They should be there when you speak your first word, when you first ride a bike without training wheels, when you score your first goal or make your first homerun, and when you graduate. I believe that families should share laughs and stories around the dinner table, ask about each other’s days, and at the end of the day wish each other a good night.

I believe that being a family is more than just being related and sharing the same genes. I believe that what being a family truly means is being there and loving one another. I believe that family is the most important thing in the world. Friends will come and go, but family will always be there.