Clinton - Charlotte, North Carolina

I believe in intolerance. Many people talk about the need for tolerance, but intolerance makes the whole world a lot more interesting. If the world were one big happy place, where would discourse go? There would be none.

America’s shift to a “tolerant”’ nation is disappointing in the sense that we intolerant nuts like myself are unfairly classified as bigots when we really aren’t. It’s funny how the tolerant have become increasingly intolerant of the intolerant, if that makes sense to anyone. In this nation of tolerance, I should be able to express my intolerant belief and be embraced and “tolerated.”

But this is not the case. Americans have become the weakest minded, fuzzy feelies of the Western Hemisphere. I’m so tired of seeing anything and everything being accepted under the false guise of tolerance. Where has our collective BS meter gone? It used to be that we would call out the wrong and attempt to correct it.

I believe in the intolerance of false ideas. This intolerance does not include violence or discrimination. Martin Luther King Jr. didn’t tolerate whites treating blacks poorly and Susan B. Anthony didn’t tolerate a male dominated society. Each used ideas to change their worlds, not violence. Like King and Anthony, my intolerance has to do deal more with reason and the intolerance of bad ideas than anything else. The idea of tolerance has stopped many from challenging ideas to see if they hold water or not. This has to be the most frustrating thing about tolerance. As soon as I challenge an idea, I’m branded intolerant by critics who seek to accept without thought. This acceptance is incredibly dangerous for our nation as a whole. The pluralistic society that we live in is in danger of being overrun by fallacious and outright ridiculous ideas, all due to a loaded word called “tolerance.”

This I believe, that intolerance brings me more joy than tolerance could ever bring. I just don’t see how, if I were completely tolerant, that I could possibly accept everything that happens in the world. For example, if a student brings a gun to school, will it be tolerated? Of course not, that’s why it’s called zero tolerance!

I believe in the certainty of intolerance. As a supporter of intolerance, I have firm ground to stand on and a solid base to argue from. Tolerance, on the other hand, rarely has strong convictions to base arguments and grow. Nothing strong can grow from a constantly changing, uncertain soil.

Now if American’s are true to their tolerant nature, they will accept this account. Hopefully, the intolerance this creates will wake all Americans up from their tolerant stupor and notice the ridiculous nature of our movement as a society towards the all encompassing acceptance of unabsolute truths.