Vincent - San Antonio, Texas

I Believe In…

I Believe in my teammates. I have been playing organized sports for twelve years of my life. Although I was young and unaware of where the roads in my life would take me, one thing was for sure, and that is today winning is everything.

Ever since I was a young kid I have been playing with the same teammates that I currently play with at Clark. We have grown together, loosing and winning many hard fought games. Whether the sport was football, baseball, or basketball we were always at the top of our league. Although we were feared by many teams, we always had breakdowns when it came to championship games. It wasn’t until our 6th grade year that we came together to win our first team football championship.

Many people talk about how Smithson Valley has built a mini dynasty by combining their football teams at an early age. Now, what many people don’t know is that they have lost twice in this span. Both losses came to us, what is now going to be the class of 09’ at Clark High School.

Since our freshman year here at Clark, we have lost only 2 games. To go along with that, as sophomores we capped our season off with a district championship. As time has progressed, we have come to understand what it takes to not only win, but what it takes to be united as one.

The things I have learned from my teammates and the adversity that we have had to overcome, is much greater than what any textbook could have taught me. The work ethic I learned from the people around me, will soon follow me into life and the work place. No matter what life may bring my way, I know I can always turn to my teammates beside me and expect them to step up and face diversity side by side with me. We are a unit that overcomes diversity, never says “I” but “we,” and overcomes any and all obstacles together.

When I think about it, the football team is my family. I spend more time with the team than anybody else. I spend 12-14 hours a day with these guys. Many people don’t realize the type of bond that we all share. But then again, I don’t blame them. These regular people didn’t go through two-a-days, nor boot camp. They have not bled with us, cried with us, or worked in 100 degree heat. So when we come back to school after a game and someone asks” Why did you all lose?” It gets me so mad, because they don’t know anything about the loss. Yet they want to criticize something they have not put a minute of their own time into.

We have a bond that cannot be broken and will never be broken. We are not a team of 60, but of one. “60 hearts, 1 heartbeat.” This is why I believe in my teammates.