Veronica - San Antonio, Texas

I believe in multiple religions.

I am Catholic. I attend mass, have been baptized, and received communion. I believe in one God. However, I know me and my beliefs are not solely correct.

I believe Catholics are just as correct in their beliefs as Hindus, who are just as correct as Jews. Religion is like the way we go to school. We all live in different houses on different streets, but our destination is the same. On the way to school we encounter different problems, like traffic or accidents. And when we get to school we have different things to do; but we’re all there together. This is the way different religions work. We are all taking our own way to the same goal.

The God I believe in wouldn’t punish a person for not believing in the supposedly “right” way to him, because there is no “right” way. He wouldn’t turn away a child who didn’t have a chance to know him. He chose to make us different and he chose what family we are born into. If he would have wanted us to all find the one “right” way, he would have made us all the same.

My best friend and her family are Hindu (and some of the greatest, kind-hearted people I’ve ever met as well.) I am thankful to her for my belief. One day, one of not only my Christian friend, but hers as well, told her that she was going to hell because she was not a Christian. Who was he to tell her that she was wrong? She is just as much an amazing, good person as any Christian I’ve ever met. Since that day I’ve believed that there is not a single set of correct belief, but multiple sets. Her beliefs are definitely different than mine but certainly not incorrect; they’re just another road. There is no way my God, who is not much different than hers, would punish her for something she was born into, something he chose for her. Our fate is based not on our kind of faith, but our individual morality that leads us to have a faith.

If we can say the same thing but use different languages, can’t we have the same intention but use different religions? If we teach that there is no race superior to another, shouldn’t we also believe that no religion is better or more correct than any other, including our own?

I believe in God, but perhaps Buddha and Allah are just a few of his nicknames.

I believe in multiple religions.