Jordan - Dallas, Texas
Themes: sports

I believe in the power of Texas Longhorn football. I believe in the strength of Bevo, the Longhorn mascot. I believe that “Hook ‘em Horns” is a sign of pride and tradition. I bleed burnt orange. I am a Longhorn fan.

When I was little and Saturdays rolled around, I would sit in my dad’s lap as we would scream at the TV. At first, football became a way to build a relationship with my dad, but it soon developed into an obsession. My dad had a lifelong love for the Texas Longhorns, and soon enough, I did too. At age 6, I attended my first Red River Rivalry game between Texas and Oklahoma. Since that game, I have attended numerous games and my passion for Longhorn football has continued to grow.

Each year I look forward to the upcoming season. Football has become a constant in my life. If I am having trouble at school or in relationships, I can always count on the Longhorns to be there every step of the way. Every Saturday between September 1st and Thanksgiving, I have the assurance of turning on the TV to find a Texas game – and, later, perhaps a bowl game, too.

There is more to football than men slamming each other to the ground or throwing a football 40 yards down the field. While having a serious addiction to football,

I have learned some of my greatest lessons. I have learned how to carry on even when times get tough. Persistence and determination are keys to success on and off the football field. I have learned that you can’t give up on something just because it doesn’t

go your way. There have been times when I want to bawl and scream and pout about the games that don’t go our way, but learning how to lose is vitally important if you want to be a fan of any sports team. I have seen my fair share of disappointing players, games, and seasons. But I have also had the unforgettable experience of a Heisman winner, winning a Big 12 title game and an extraordinary, record-breaking National Championship game. Everyday I am proud to be a Texas Longhorn fan.

Sports can be like one big family. The players play their best to satisfy their team, their coaches, themselves, and their fans. Similarly, true fans don’t desert their team. If you are devoted to your team, you don’t choose when you want to be a fan – you are a fan everyday. Following every Texas game, whether they win or lose, the crowd sings the school song, “The Eyes of Texas”. The team faces the fans, and together we sing, “The eyes of Texas are upon you, all the live long day, the eyes of Texas are upon you, you

cannot get away…” This simple, yet powerful tradition displays the true meaning of a community that stands behind one another through thick and thin. I believe in the Texas Longhorns. Hook em’ Horns!