Kevin - San Antonio, Texas

I Believe…the Modern Necessity to be Profound Hinders the Collective Teenage Intellect

I believe that teenage minds hinder their intellectual abilities when attempting to be profound. This may seem audacious and out of context with the sad stories that tell of great struggles in order to achieve some unprecedented goal. But, just like those kinds of beliefs, this one can be just as sad, happy, enlightening or infuriating. I believe whole-heartedly in this statement because it seems that the new necessity for the above-average student has become the ability to speak words that inspire the average Joe to take a stand and say no to his adversary. Gone, for the time being, are the days of the I-phone, or some gadget they only make in Japan that no other US teen will be able to get their poor little hands on for another four years. With IQ’s running higher and higher in a generation that thrives on GPA’s and how many years in college you bypass by taking all of the AP tests, it is no wonder why teenagers look for some way to express their newly augmented intellect but, why “profound”? It is this choice alone that proves how completely naïve and primitive our intelligence actually is.

From a psychological standpoint the collective above-average high school student has trained it’s brain with physical vigor. In other words, these students have managed to accumulate random facts and dates and theorems and principles that they miraculously learned how to use. Yet their cognition is considerably limited in emotional training. This said the teenage mind lacks the emotional complexity and maturity to handle the insightful truths and sayings that spill from its glib orifice. Though some teens may have been through more than others, or whatever excuse they use to quantify and qualify their mind’s emotional state, the ability to understand and fully comprehend these messages and thoughts is developmentally limp until later in life.

Therefore these profound thoughts and sayings are logically ruled un-profound. The problem with this statement is that as a teenager myself, I know that my emotional complex is not developed and I am definitely smart enough to deduce that my thoughts can be found lacking emotional variety. So why is it that above average students continue to attempt higher-level thoughts and sayings without the machinery? The answer points towards our juvenile mindset. The collective teenage mind verbalizes fancy literary terms longer than the alphabet in sentences too complex to be ruled incorrect because they, the teens, just want to be heard and be praised for knowing how to use the words munificent or encomium in a sentence. This selfishness that is likened to the concrete minds of children reasons why the teenage mind is too immature to comprehend even the idea of being profound.

So I say stop, as a fellow teenage mind, I say stop. Why are we kidding ourselves with our embellished vocabulary and complex grammar? The fact that we try so hard to prove our intelligence through profound thoughts makes us look more idiotic. So as a collective mindset I say go find a nice math tournament to attend, but please don’t enervate yourself by making any more long “smart” thoughts. The future of our intellectual reputation relies on it. It is most fearful to me to think that the older generations will look down upon us for our ill contrived, apathetically supported thoughts. Even more of a fear is that the posterity of our generation will be given an example of neglect and indulgence and their fate too will be compromised by our menial thoughts. I find no valiance in attempting this highly developed process so, it is also my up most belief that we should wait, like the intelligent children we are, and develop so that one day we may aspire to actually be profound.