Liz - Hilliard, Ohio
Themes: death, family, purpose

I believe in the idea that everything that happens in our lives happens for a reason. Deaths, failed classes, lost friendships, broken hearts and rejections all are put in our lives to teach us some kind of lesson, even if we do not see the lesson right away.

On October 10, 2006 my mom’s 46 year old sister died of a heart malfunction. She had been fighting breast cancer for the past 6 months and she was almost at the end of her treatments. Prior to her diagnosis, in 16 years I had maybe spent a combined total of one week with my aunt. While she was receiving treatment my mom flew to Chicago every other week to be by her side. The last time I saw her alive she had spent the week at our house. That week was probably one of the greatest in my entire life. We did everything that we had always talked about doing. On one particular day we spent the entire day shopping together and just laughing with each other. On another day we rented movies and spent hours watching them. I felt like in only a few short days I learned more about her then I had ever known.

When she was first diagnosed I really did not understand how her diagnosis could possibly have a positive side. However, after her death something finally clicked in my head. I realized that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer for a very good reason. Her cancer made my family appreciate the value of spending as much time as possible with each other. If the cancer would have gone undetected then I may never have gotten the chance to know who she really was. I honestly do not see her cancer as something bad; I choose to see it as a positive eye opening disease that allowed me to really get to know my aunt. I will always remember that last week that I had with her and I will cherish it for the rest of my life. Whenever something in my life is not going exactly as I want it to, I look back and I remember what I believe. I believe that although I may not see it right away, there is always a reason for the way things happen.