Barbara - BoyneCity, Michigan

Manners

Racing like a horse out of the gate, I now have to get chips and salsa to my table in the thirty second allotted time. Walking up to the table, I greet them with a smile while introducing myself and asking how everyone is doing. At which time I realize the couple is in a heated argument about something. I decide it would be better if I come back later, as I’m thinking to myself would anyone else like this table. It’s moments like this when people tend to treat you less than human as if you are a robot. I wonder when I will snap and go off the deep end. I believe some people have lost all sight of their manners. As I gather my composure and their attention, I continue on with the dinner special. This then leads to another table needing me who apparently can’t see me carrying on a conversation because they are now yelling my name across the room. Being my customer did not gather my attention the first time they are now tapping me on my shoulder while I am still at the same table trying to take an order. I wonder when I will snap and go off the deep end. I believe at one time we all forget to use our manners. I find myself being short with people when things don’t seem to be going the way I expect them to. As parents we tend to keep on top of our children for their manners, having them say please and thank you, while sometimes forgetting to say them ourselves.

Now don’t get me wrong, not every table is a headache. Some of these families I mingle with outside of the work place. It’s so nice to have someone tell you the reason they come in is because you give them the best service they’ve ever had. I carry on conversations back and forth as if we are family. These are the customers that make me think I will make it through one more day and I won’t snap, and go off the deep end.