Brian - San Antonio, Texas

I believe in doing what you love.

I walk the halls of my school and always to my left and right are the desolate placeholders who work as hard as any other student during junior year. The difference is that they all work to eventually do a job like accounting, or being a lawyer, or doctor. I work hard too, but my goal in life is not to be working at a desk until I retire.

Never have I seen an optimistic five-year-old, so full of live and intent shoud out “WHEN I GROW UP, I WANT TO BE A SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT OF FINANCES!” It’s always the same answers. A fireman. An astronaut. A dancer. Why should I change my dream just because I won’t make the same amount of money as that desk job?

I want to enjoy life. For me personally, I enjoy my life when I play music. As notes pour through me like a fountain, I feel the sensation that I can affect someone. I don’t want it to be a hobby; I want it to be a life. My life.

I know full well that the chances of getting that huge record deal that pays for your home, seven cars, and pets made out of diamond are about the same as winning the lottery…twice, but I’m not going to play my music to make the money. I’m going to play my music to be happy. So as I see these desolate placeholders looking forward to that 90 on a test to boost their GPA, I wonder what will it do? Sure you’ll have a better chance of getting into a better college, but after that, then what?

I did not grow up wanting to look forward to retirement to enjoy what I’ve earned. I’ve grown up to enjoy growing up. Whether every chord I play gets me five thousand dollars, or a new blister, I just want to be happy. If you don’t live your life by your standards, whose will you live it by? It just so happens that what I want to do does not require a college degree, nor is there one offered. It doesn’t mean I won’t have a backup plan to support myself, and it doesn’t mean I’m not interested in college. I merely just want to live my life now, while others live it later.

I believe in doing what you love, money or not.