Steven - San Antonio, Texas

I believe in second chances. Unfortunately, god made man to be an imperfect creature. People are very sinful beings and make mistakes all the time; be it purposeful or on accident. However, people also learn. God also gave man the ability to learn and understand. With mistakes also comes experiences, and I believe that everyone deserves to have that second chance to make what they did wrong, right, or possibly even better.

When I was a sophomore, taking chemistry, my chemistry teacher alternated when he chose our lab partners and when we got to choose our own when we did labs. Our very first lab for the year was chosen by our teacher since we didn’t know the people in our class very well. Well, I got partnered up with Sailesh Ramanathan; and Indian guy that I didn’t know too well, but had some experience with in band. The lab was very quantitative-based and didn’t allow for many mistakes to be made; otherwise our results would be totally off. Well, what happened was Sailesh put the wrong amount of carbonate into our sample and weighed everything wrong. So, when we got home to do the lab write-up, we realized that the results that we had gotten were totally off. Coupled with the excessive band practice hours and the ridiculous work-pack schedule I had put upon myself, I wasn’t the happiest person in the world when I came to the realization that with the results we had, we couldn’t finish the chemistry lab that was due in the days.

Sailesh had let me down. The first time we had actually interacted and his first impression upon me wasn’t exactly the best. I was actually planning on making Sailesh go early to the chemistry lab again in order to get better, more accurate results since it was his fault we had such erroneous data in the first place. However, after thinking it over, I decided I’d skip band practice along with him the next morning in order to do the lab again – together. After all, two is better than one and I wanted to make sure that he didn’t mess it up again.

Upon receiving our grades the following week, we had gotten a 98; a pretty decent grade after factoring in the fact that we had to do the entire thing over again within the short amount of time we had. Soon after, I discovered that we also lived very close to each other – walking distance, in fact! Then I discovered that we also had the same teachers! Along with the new respect I had for Sailesh after the chemistry lab results, we made a good team. Presently, I think that I’ve got a friend for life after all the things we’ve been through – long band practices, ridiculous amounts of homework, and miscellaneous other tribulations that arose – all resulting in the fact that I gave someone I barely knew a second chance.