Janet - San Antonio, Texas

I believe that no matter what happens, you should look at the glass half full.

Sometimes, things happen that change your life forever. These events are sometimes good and sometimes bad. But no matter what, something good will always come out of it.

It’s not everyday that you experience someone or something so dear and so close to you passing away. It may not even happen in ten years. But it happens, and it happened to me. On October 5, 2006, the love of my life was carried into the house at six weeks old by my mom. She was tiny and fragile and didn’t have a name yet. My parents and I stayed up late into the night thinking of the perfect name for her. After much thought and consideration, we named her Honey. Honey because she was the sweetest thing we’d ever seen. Honey because the color of her fur imitated the creamy light brown color of sweet and tasty goo.

Over the next few days, I got to know her, play with her and learn to appreciate her company. After coming from a tiring and stressful day of school, all of my worries flew away. One week passed and everything went by smoothly. But exactly one day after that, things started happening. Bad things. She wouldn’t eat or drink anything. A day passed and I, along with my parents, came to the conclusion that she was sick-really sick. Completely devastated, I stayed up late in the night-again-trying to feed her and make her drink. Nothing worked. After a long night, I dragged myself to school, not wanting to leave Honey behind. When I came home from school, she was gone. My mom had taken her to the vet and they put her to sleep. My seven week old puppy was gone.

Letting go of Honey was one of the hardest adversities I’ve ever had to go through. Even in the short week that I spent with the puppy, I became accustomed to her being in my life. I just kept asking myself, why? Why something so precious, so sweet, so adorable could be gone in just a short seven weeks. The next few weeks were horrible for me. I couldn’t stop thinking about her.

In the more weeks to come, I learned to live without her. I grew from this experience. It may not have been the best thing to go through, but it was one I matured from. Through the death of a loved one, I learned how to deal with hardships.