How Hard Work Helps

Laura - Dallas, Texas
Themes: work

When I am willing to do jobs that are not interesting, I can get better jobs in the future. When I started volunteering at Dallas Medical City Hospital over the summer, I was given easy, boring work, such as putting address stickers on envelopes, following other volunteers around as they put magazines in waiting rooms, and helping them deliver letters to patients. I liked delivering letters because the patients smiled and were glad to receive the letters. Delivering letters, gifts, and magazines by myself and taking people to different places throughout the hospital were some of the better jobs that I got to do after earning my supervisors’ trust. They realized that I was reliable. At one point, I worked the phones and computers at the information desk by myself because the other volunteers were busy with other jobs. I also worked the popcorn machine and was in charge of the money. If I did not do the easy, dull jobs well, then they would have thought I could not handle harder ones and that I would do those poorly. Therefore, I got to do the jobs that I actually wanted because in the beginning I had a positive attitude towards the monotonous work, and the future jobs became less boring.

Students who do their assignments can get better grades. For example, last year if you were in Health class and did the homework, you could easily get an A or A+. All you had to do was pay attention in class to learn how to do the food log even though it only required basic math. Writing down what you ate, filling in the categories, and doing a little addition and division would get you an A+ on the food log. The only reason people did not get A’s was because they did not want to spend the time required to do the work. As well, in Spanish this year, if you take the time to do the homework correctly instead of scribbling down an answer, you can get easy A’s that boost your grade. Hard work has paid off because I was able to take 5 honors classes this year. In the honors classes, teachers allow us to do more exciting work, such as the daily discussions in honors history. Doing tedious school work can lead to better grades and honors classes.

I realized that for me putting in hard work by doing the boring jobs and schoolwork leads to more enjoyable jobs and classes. The tedious work required at the beginning drives me insane. However, the completion of that work pays off by helping me have a more interesting day.