I believe in Giving

Cecilia - Holly Springs, North Carolina

I believe anyone can give. Just a little can help a lot. One person could change the lives of so many. I never thought that a couple of dollars could change so much.

For Christmas we get a calendar that holds little gifts and counts down the days until Christmas. One year my brother and I decided that instead of little gifts we would ask our parents if we could get money instead. They said yes because they thought the little things we would normally get inside were something we would never use anyway.

In each box there was twenty kroners, which is a little more than three dollars, which would add up after twenty five days.

After opening all the boxes and had got all the money we decided to donate it all to a charity. We gave it all to a charity that would help families all over the world. It felt so good after giving them all the money. It felt like you had done something really good.

Even though you don’t see what you have done, it still changed someone’s life. A little money can do so much. Just by giving up one day at the movies, or giving up that money you were planning on buying those cute shoes with that you had seen at the mall. Even three dollars would help so much. Three dollars can buy one dose of antiretroviral drug. This is a drug that helps an HIV positive mother and child. It could help save their lives.

I once reed a quote that said “If you can’t feed a hundred people, than just feed one.” I believe if you can only give a dollar, give that dollar. If everyone gave that one dollar so many people could get saved.

This has encouraged me to think about how other people have it. So many people have it bad and have to do everything just to survive. I really appreciate everything I have. Sometimes I take for granted how good I have it. I know you can’t always give but giving every once in a while is good.