Christin - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason.

I remember sitting on our sofa drinking a coke, when my parents stated, “We have to move again.” As my coke can crashed to the floor, all I remember is crying and praying that I would wake up from my nightmare. To my dismay, it was real, and once again my family was to relocate to an alien place that I had no knowledge of.

Ever since I was little, I remember moving every three years because of my father’s job in the Air Force. As a little girl, I had simply assumed everyone moved like I did, and I learned to make friendships knowing they would one day be severed. I was too young to understand the concept of having a hometown, or to know where my roots were. I simply moved each time, knowing that I could start over fresh in the new city that the air force assigned us to.

It wasn’t until my dad was stationed back home in our home state of Alabama that I realized how important having a home was. All my relatives, my early childhood friends and houses are in Alabama. Thankfully I had my dad’s word that we never move again.

However, when I turned fifteen I received the painful news that we were to move to San Antonio, Texas that summer. Leaving behind friends, family, good times, and my home, we left on an early morning flight that July to a foreign city I had never seen before.

I remember at first, it was terrible and it wasn’t until that August that I started band camp, which led to newfound friendships that gave me strength and courage to move. I met new faces everyday that gave me laughter and formed new memories to look back on and smile at. These new friends opened their arms, and took me in, giving my homesick heart a new place to live.

It took me nearly fourteen months before I finally decided to call Texas my home. I learned that home is where your roots are, but it’s also where you are surrounded by people who care about you. If I hadn’t have moved I would have never have met these amazing people who have changed my life forever, because now I know that even the roughest of situations is for the greater good. I was able to finally believe that age-old phrase “everything happens for a reason.”