Caleb - San Antonio, Texas

I believe in the power of music. I know it sounds very corny, but it’s true. I firmly believe that there are few things in this world that have the potential, raw power of music.

It all starts with sound. Any sort of sound. Then you add pitch, to a certain frequency. Now, hold this pitch for varying amounts of time. With this you have a note.

Now, give all of these notes different names. Put a bunch together. Play them very fast. Play them quite slow. You can do anything with these little tidbits of sound. Take notes that work well with one another and play them together. With this you form chords and melodies. You can even use your voice and add words. With all these things, songs are eventually formed, and music is made.

But wait. This definition sounds scientific, almost robotic in its understanding. It doesn’t take into account how music can move people. It fails to show that for some odd and unexplainable reason, music has the ability to make us laugh, to make us cry, to move us to rebellion, to bring us closer together, to bring out emotions in us we didn’t know we were capable of.

For some reason these “notes” hold power beyond that of any person, or country, or bomb. Take this for example. Have you ever watched a scary movie with no sound? It loses much of its impact, because it lacks music to let you know that something is coming or something bad is building. And music also has a knack for overcoming language barriers. You may not understand a single word of a song in French, but you understand every emotion because of the way the music moves.

It is quite unexplainable and uncontrollable, though I am sure most scientists and psychologists would beg to differ. Music holds power beyond imagination. Music is an outlet for pure emotion, and that is what makes it so powerful. And that’s why, above all, I believe in the power of music.