Jeffrey - San Antonio, Texas

Despite what people say , I believe that I am on the path to understanding the true meaning of life.

There are always people who say, “You don’t know how I feel,” or “You wouldn’t get it anyway.” Those words mean nothing to me. We are all human . We all make mistakes. We all love and hate. We all question and doubt. We all live and die. However, there is one important yet seemingly forgotten attribute we all possess; we all have feelings.

As a child, as an adolescent, and even now as a teenager I make mistakes rather frequently. this may seem somewhat outlandish (considering most people don’t look at a mistake as being a positive thing), but I enjoy making mistakes. They have, and will always, aid me in becoming a better and more knowledgeable human being.

I feel that life itself is a paradox. What feels so close is really so far, and vice versa. Mistakes have taught me an important lesson: Don’t quit no matter what. They have also helped me understand how other people may feel during certain situations. You may experience many overwhelming situations in your life, but always remember that the satisfactions you get from overcoming those conditions are worthwhile.

About four years ago, I volunteered to help the Food Bank distribute food to the homeless. This was the first time I had really seen people less fortunate than myself. Thousands of men, women, and children came to pick up boxes of freeze-dried goods, chips, and crackers. My job was to assist them in carrying the boxes to the bus stop. In doing so, I noticed how every single person was smiling. I didn’t understand how people could be so poor yet so happy. During my last carry out, an elderly woman said, “Good bless you child.” I timidly replied saying, “You too mam.” As we exchanged smiles she gave me a hug. At that moment I realized what life was about. It’s about helping others in need. It’s about coming together and achieving the impossible. It’s about doing things that make you feel good. Life is all this and much more. And in the words of J. Frank Dobie, a former This I Believe author, “It’s prescence everywhere makes it free to all.”

To me, understanding the true meaning of life is looking from the outside in. See, hear, touch, taste, and smell the world around you. As said by J. Frank Dobie , “the progress of man is based on disbelief of the4 commonly accepted.” Instead of worrying about whether you are “fitting in” by today’s standards, take time to realize that we are just some of the many human beings scattered across the globe. I feel that’s the reason I understand what life is all about. I understand that I’m not alone in this world, and the feelings I have are not foreign. They are on the other hand, the feelings that the other 6 billion people on earth love and hate. Life is about doing what you love, caring for one another, and thinking outside the realms of reality. Imagine what you want, and achieve it.