bryce - Culver, Indiana

I believe in the qualities that an individual can possess on the path of becoming a successful person and a great leader. Everybody has the same potential for living a good life and influencing others to change their actions. Leadership is the ability to change the beliefs of an individual enabled by a person’s strive for internal excellence. While most leadership experiences will not be as dramatic as my definition, there are many instances of “life-changing moments.” A life changing moment is nothing more than an individual affecting another individual’s evaluation of life, and upon this evaluation changes are made by the individual to become a better person to themselves. Everyone is affected by different people throughout our lives, whether the impact is great or small, people interact with one another; sometimes on a large scale but most of the time it is the little things that affect us most. My football coaches have always preached that the little things are the most important aspect of a great football player. They always say”never take a play off.” When I get ready for the next play I must have great technique in order to be able to make the play work. Everything I do in the span of 6-8 seconds of one play counts, and in that short span of time I must be perfect. Cheating myself by not going one hundred percent will hurt the team. In football there are eleven individual battles on each play, if more people on one team win their battles, then that play will be successful. Being the best individual at my position will help put the team in a position to win. Performing the small actions perfect will enable overall victory. While football is a team effort, without individual determination, success cannot be gained.

I believe every individual has the potential to achieve leadership success, but not everyone has the same talents and abilities that help to become a strong leader. Each person is unique; variation in talents can hinder success for some people and boost success in others. It is the use of talent that creates competition within our social environment, and competition is the birthplace of leadership. Competing for a position on the football field is a model for competing in the workplace. By exemplifying leadership qualities and trying to be as individually successful as possible will help decide who starts and who doesn’t. Sometimes it is not always the most talented player that plays, a dedicated hard working but less talented individual can compete for a position by out working his opponent. I have not always been the most talented player on my team, but I never quit trying and I never took a day off in practice, and I’ve started just about every game this year. I believe in the individual qualities that everyone possesses is the key to success, and with these individual talents leaders emerge to influence others.