Chase - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: sports, work

I Believe in the gymnast.

He sits quietly in class, preoccupied by practice, which will come soon after school. She’s nervous, excited and she wonders what will happen that day when her second life begins. He imagines things so exciting, so worth while, but she learns that it’s farther away than you think. He becomes obsessed with workouts; she can’t contain herself with her nerves shaking in her body. She’s on the bar. He releases, she waits, they watch, and everything is a blur. He hopes for nothing.

Sometimes she looks back because she realizes that the future won’t become anything because of this. He remembers a time when everything seemed to be good, he doesn’t want to, but he can’t help himself.

It was summer, everything was great, and to him nothing could really be better. Practice was in the morning. He groaned and yawned every five seconds. She was happy to an extent and a little cranky as well. We ran to wake ourselves up, but all we could do was think about what would happen that day. She went to floor and he went to high bar. But, something about the particular day seemed to show it was his day, not her’s. He mounted the high bar, with hopes that everything would be okay. The first turn was amazing, exhilarating, and the only hope he had then was that the next turn would be as good as the first. He would not have been hopefully had he known what lay ahead. He was on the bar, he casted, he pushed, he turned, and he grabbed the bar. Everything seemed to be going well. She would like to tell you that this ended here, that the rest never happened, but that would have been a lie. He ducked his head and missed his hand, before he knew it his ribs shook and his lungs failed, he couldn’t breath. He sat there, not moving, breathless, she watched, and he prayed quietly. He never seemed so disappointed, in pain and somehow, he couldn’t help wonder if this was really suppose to be.

She knew that this was hard work, as did he, but everyone else would never really understand. The next few months were exasperating, and he couldn’t help but dream of the future, and she couldn’t help dream about hers. He will move on, and work and fail, and succeed, she will understand, because this is the life of a person who knows, who is smart and who will have stories to tell. They will work for themselves and for their future; I know this because I believe in the gymnast. He is powerful, strong, and ruthless. She is strong, tasteful, and elegant. He lives in this life knowing the rewards that await hard work and she will stop at nothing for this exuberant future to come.