Franklin - Bethlehem, Georgia

There is a phrase adopted by the addicted as “a moment of clarity”.

Although not an addict, I have felt fortunate to have had a few of these moments throughout my life that have been central to my core belief structure. They didn’t come during times of distress or in high drama. Rather they came gently like a warm summer breeze or a secret lovers embrace. Demonstrating that there is something greater than the sum of me that exist all around me and in everything I see. It permeates my world and all the circumstances and events that transpire in my life. Through the lens of this perspective I have come to the following conclusions:

I am here to be of service. Of service to my wife, who reciprocates my affection for reasons that I cannot fathom. Of service to my children, although perhaps not in the way they might prefer (you parents may know what I mean). Of service to my clients in a professional capacity and of course of service to those I contact fleetingly or regularly in the course of living a life.

When I say of service it may invoke imagery of slavish servitude or placidity. That is not altogether my nature and is not strictly my definition of the word. I believe we are here to facilitate one another’s learning objectives whether we know it or not and we serve each other in that capacity. I believe we have a responsibility to recognize our role and personal accountability in how we interact with those we come in contact with, regardless of how they choose to function.

When I look back on a life lived, I hope to reflect that although I may not have always performed to my highest ideal, I’ve had a positive impact on those whose lives I’ve touched.

This is what I believe.