Olivia - Elgin, Illinois

I believe in breaking the mould.

I don’t want to be like every one else. I don’t do what I do to be like society’s little mould that I’m supposed to fit into. I love Latin, but I am not a nerd. I like to run, but I am not a jock. According to society, I should be anorexic, and want to be like my favorite celebrity. Society has its idea of everything that my life should be but, I am a rebel, and I do not listen.

I have never been like any other child. For a greater part of my childhood, I thought that I was a horse, and I was fine with the other kids laughing at me, because I was happy. I like to spin around in circles; I like to dance in the rain. It never bothered me that I was different, on the contrary, I like to be different. I have taken that mould and crushed it into pieces.

There are people that like their mould, whatever it might be. A friend of mine is in love with being a nerd. Everything that proceeds from his mouth is what he thinks will make him sound smart. A lot of his friends are upset with his pompous attitude, including me. Breaking the mould for me is stopping from becoming the idea of what society expects me to be. For me, there is no joy in trying so hard to be something that I am not.

I say, it doesn’t matter what’s in style, it matters what I want to wear. It doesn’t matter what Hollywood is doing or what the media is saying, I am going to do what I know is right and what I know to be true. Society tells us that we need to fight global warming. I don’t believe in global warming. The scientists tell us that Pluto is not a planet; I think that Pluto is as much of a planet as Earth is. Society tells us that God is dead. I believe that God is very much alive and working.

I am my own person; there is no one else in the whole world just like me. I know that this self-inflicted exclusion separates me, and, instead of running and hiding I dash out to embrace it. Who I am, is for me to decide, not for any one else. I enjoy making my own path; I love to not listen to anyone else.

So what do I do after I break the mould? I am called a hippie, I am called a freak, a dork as my parents so eloquently put it. I try to encourage others to live like I do. Some people ignore me, others see me for who I am and love me for it. But every morning, whether it is with my clothes, or my hair, or even just my attitude, I want to break that mould. It may be by grinding it under my four inch heels, or by painting my eyes with too much makeup. Whatever it is, I’m going to break that mould.