Freedom

Reed - Irving, Texas

I believe in freedom. What would we do without freedom? We would not be free to live with the people we love, to truly live or even to believe. Freedom is often taken for granted, but the majority of people who have not fought on the battle field might never really know its worth; more importantly they might not care. Personally, it never crossed my mind until 9/11 and then patriotism appeared like bats out of a cave. The bats, or terrorists, became a wake up call from God to not walk through freedom’s park without noticing anything.

I was sitting in my history class when the World Trade Centers fell. My teacher, after a phone call, turned on the television as fast as the towers crumbled. In the heat of the moment, I didn’t quite grasp what was going on. I was learning of my country’s past while witnessing its present and future history. Most of us have been in a history class, so when you hear the plethora of numbers of lives taken in wars, we should pause and realize their sacrifices for our freedom, but instead we listen or read on to finish an assignment. An assignment in a classroom, a classroom in a school, a school in a city and so forth until the nation is the foundation. The foundation those men and women built; you could start with the nation and work your way to each person’s life that was lost in each war for freedom. And yet we hear about 400 dead in the battle of Bunker Hill and we watched as 2,749 die in the World Trade Centers but we are focused on finishing our test reviews.

Also, we hear names like George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, and Thomas Jefferson in history classes and textbooks along with other famous people, but what about the common person; do they risk less? They are fighting for the same reason and freedom as the leader of the army. I believe freedom is not won by the famous names alone, but by the ones who gave their lives for a greater cause.

Freedom is not free, even though it is ours it gives us nothing in return, it is not what we are given, but what is not taken away. Freedom allows us to keep our past traditions, live in the present with rights, and pursue a passion for a better life. We pay freedom’s toll and take our losses to lose no more. Soldiers were lost but battles were won yet we do not notice either since we are tied down with our free lives. We need to know what and who we have lost to completely be thankful for freedom. I believe in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.