Alison - Tracy, California

I believe in God’s plans. I also believe that deviation from God’s plan can result in events in our lives that change the choices that we make.

I remember the night that my father was admitted in to the hospital. It was a Monday night, and he had been complaining of feeling ill all day. Around 9:00 on May 21 he went to the Manteca Emergency room, little did I know that this would be the last time I would see him in my house for at least two months. The doctors ran blood tests and told him he was fine, that maybe he just had the flu, after one quick decision, they told him they would run one final test. They came back in shock, unsure of how he was walking due to the fact that he had close to no blood in his body.

On May 25th, the doctor called my mother and told her that the chances were my father had leukemia. My father showed signs of this deadly cancer of the blood and the doctor said that a bone marrow test would be the only way to know for sure. I remember my mother crying and telling us that she had to go to the hospital because he didn’t want to be alone. My brother, sister, and I got to see my father daily, to cry with him, care for him, and support him in ways that I never thought I would have to do. My father spent his 48th birthday in a hospital room surrounded by 10 people clad in rubber gloves and face masks, the day that he was suppose to sign the papers for his Georgian house. I remember my mother telling her best friend and my father’s best friend, that she was afraid she would be a widow. They told her, they thought so too, I cried for days, hanging on to their words and thinking of how much I needed my father.

Fortunately, this story does have a happy ending. Through chemotherapy and love my father recovered and is now in remission. On July 3rd, he left the hospital for a rehabilitation center, to learn how to walk again. Finally on July 13th, I got the best present of the summer, my dad got to come home for good. Three months later, he is still getting better each day even though he suffers side effects from his chemotherapy.

What happened over the summer changed my family’s lives forever. Before this illness, we were planning on moving across the country to Georgia. Protests were made, but my parents decided this was what was best. I truly believe that God did not want us to move this summer. While my father was in the hospital, my whole family and the close friends I have in my life, stuck with me and helped my family get through it. If we had moved to Georgia, we would have been left alone and would not have received an outpouring of love that we did. God wanted us to stay in Tracy, and through this experience I have learned just how important these people are in my life. At the expense of my father, I have learned that in some instances where you are is where you belong. I believe that God’s plan should be followed and that if people stray away from it, a wake up call is needed. This I believe.