Simon - Corona, California
Themes: question

“This I Believe” Essay

My brother Daimen, a brilliant man, always came to me with questions of society, religion, and what I interpreted the world around, to be. At first I doubted the words that came out of my brothers mouth because it went against everything that I was taught when I was being raised. It seems now that my young mind was to busy with other things to care about the things my brother said. But in time, I grew older, more rebellious and more attracted to things that went above and beyond. Now he came to me with more questions of government and religion which got me listening to him for the first time. I would randomly ponder upon these things because it always was an interesting subject such as “why do we have to follow what everybody else believes, and stand in straight lines like good orderly people!”

I believe in ideas of enlightenment and freedom to self-expression toward your beliefs. My brother had lead me on a path that I now no longer can deny, but question it which does come to my mind almost every day. Instead of having a pigeon-hole view of my surroundings, I now have a broader view and understanding of what life, religion and somewhat society is about. I now feel my own individual power to believe in what I think is the truth and what seems to be fake. I feel that I’m allowed to go against authority of the church and also a man on T.V, that doesn’t really know how to give speeches very well, that we call our president. I’m no rebel nor am I a saint, nor a preacher I am a normal member of society with a different outlook on my surroundings.

I have no reason to say religion is bad in any way at all, I just say one thing to the people who believe in God, what if…? I feel that we should not fear God for he may send us to Hell for not believing in him and all his morals, beliefs and creations. I believe to question what you think is right or wrong, because nobody will ever come back to tell you there is a heaven to go to or you will burn in hell for all of eternity. I have never seen angels or demons, aliens nor ghosts. These things to me are all creations of an individuals mind, that wanted to stir up excitement in their life, to think about, to question, to wonder to believe!

As of government, I will and always stick by a quote that will always bring about individual choice and freedom: “People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people. The building is a symbol, as the act of destroying it, symbols are given power by the people. Alone the symbol is meaningless, but with enough people, blowing up this building could change the world…” This quote means that people will always have the power in their society, as is the way it should be, government should fear their people.