Jade - Corona, California

I believe that the phrase “Can I get a witness?” * finger snap * is more than just a funny phrase from some old song. I believe that we all need each other. I think that in life, love is more necessary than air, and I believe that all people need love too. Being told more or less that I wasn’t good enough as a kid made me believe for a long time that I wasn’t. It took forever to realize that no one was really disappointed in me. I believe that words have the power to bless and to curse, to wound and to heal.

The word witness means to just be there, and I know that people just being with me has made a difference in the times that I felt as low as I could go. A month or so ago, I was having a pretty rough day. Grades are important to me, and I had bombed a math test (which was, by the way, 80% of my grade). I had started “that time of the month,” that morning and mine are generally pretty horrible. And to top it off, I had just gotten yelled at by my mom the night before. So you can imagine how I was feeling at school, schlepping from class to class. I got to choir, and my friend came up and gave me a big hug and told me that she was glad to see me and that I am one of the sweetest people she knows. I wasn’t feeling so sweet, but her saying that brought me back into a better state of mind. Simple as it may be, that moment was life-changing because I realized how much I need other people to love me.

My friend didn’t know what was going on with me, and she didn’t need to know all the “shoulds and shouldn’ts of how to be a good Christian”[sarcasm], because she doesn’t even believe in God. She wasn’t making a huge and grand gesture; she was just letting some love flow out of her. I believe that simple and radical love like that, loving like Jesus did, changes the world. I believe that the warmth of love and community is the hope that keeps me going every day. I believe that when we bear each other’s burdens and accept each other with open arms, God is with those people and allows them to feel His love.

I believe that when we share our lives with others, and let them know that they are loved, we are standing in eternity. I believe that the words we say, no matter how we say them, matter. I believe that the simple act of just being there for someone is doing God’s will among people. I believe that words, love, and the gift of someone’s presence, all have the power to echo for years after they are shared.