Brenda - Corona, California
Themes: carpe diem

When I was younger spending time with my family didn’t mean as much as it did to me today. My view of spending time with my family was coming in for dinner when the street lights would come on or playing Barbie’s with my sisters on weekends when there was nothing else to do. I took for granted all the little things like going to my grandparents house on weekends to visit or going to church every Sunday and knowing we’d all go out to breakfast afterwards. Even today I catch myself thinking more about whom am I going to hang out with or am I going to see my boyfriend? I remember the comfort I felt spending the night at my grandma’s house. It was like I had no troubles and everything was okay. She told me stories about when she was younger and taught me how to speak Spanish. Every now and then without my mom’s permission she’d sneak a couple of dollars in my pocket and tell me to save it for when the ice cream man would come by. Days at her house just made life that much better. Recently I found out that my grandma that means the absolute world to me has lymphoma, which is a type of cancer that affects the immune system. I think back to all the times that I chose going out with my friends or going to a party over going to Orange County to visit her. I guess I thought that something like this would never happen to her. I couldn’t believe it at first, I was speechless. I didn’t understand why something like this would happen to someone great. When I talked to my mom about it she told me to hang in there and that everything would be alright. She said that god just had a different plan then we expected for my grandma. I now believe strongly in spending time with your love ones, because you never know when they may be gone and you might regret all the little things you never did.