Steven - Corona, California
Themes: sports

I Believe in Sports

I believe in sports. Sports are their own world. Sports unite people. Sports lead society to forget about all the problems of the world and for that 2, 3 hours all is great.

Sports can bring total enemies together into the same environment, side-by-side. Sports can also relieve the stress of people’s daily lives. After that long day of work or school you can come home and totally “zone –out” and relax and for the time just forget about all that is wrong. Sports can even stop wars, for example, during the World Cup. All nations had come together in peace to watch their teams. Even I had watched the World Cup and I personally hate soccer.

My most fond memory of how sports affected me was when I was nine years old. The year was 2001. I was having constant and painful headaches. One night I couldn’t take it anymore, so my parents took me to the emergency room. Within the next hour or so I found out that that I had viral meningitis. It was a painful experience, the headaches, the shots, the IVs. All of it was horrible. Hands-down, it was the worst event of my life. Well, I remember one night I was having real bad pain and the doctor came in to check on me, and he asks if I would like to watch TV. He turns it on and the first thing that pops up is the final game of the 2001 World Series. All I remember is that for those three hours or so all my pain and aches had vanished. Everyone in the room at the time was surprised I had not complained about any pain. I guess for that period all my focus was on the game and nothing else.

Sports are a crazy thing. It’s crazy to think that full grown men and women play games meant for children. Sports are truly little kids games. That just shows how sports can take you away from reality and put you in an almost perfect world. I believe in sports.