Soothing Sounds of Life

Krystle - Petoskey, Michigan

The strum of the guitar strings, the sliding of the bow over the corpus of the violin, leading into the piano and if you are lucky a flute. No words are sung and the sound of the instruments is what hijacks your eardrums. Whether you are an active musician or just an innocent bystander, each composition can invoke a different feeling or image. I believe in the power of classical music.

In the world today, cars speed and clocks tick, and most don’t stop to smell the roses when they get the chance. Whether it is a fast Chopin or a slow, but steady Beethoven, they make you think of all the wonderful things in this world, like the way the mountains reflect in the lakes in Colorado, or how bright a babies’ smile is. Classical music reminds you to stop for just an instant and look around.

Much of current music is created to please, like a mother baking cookies for her young children; but is it actually from the artists heart or are we just hearing what they believe we want to hear? Classical music is composed from the heart; works are nurtured, bathed, and fed by their composers as if it was their child and many consider them to be the equivalent. You can hear what Beethoven wished he could, feel the loneliness of the orphaned Bach, or feel how the spinet keys were under Handel’s fingers. Classical masterpieces are not songs that last a few minutes; they are experiences that can last an hour or more.

I loath deafening silence and in it I am unable to concentrate. My inspiration comes from classical music. I have it playing when I do homework and all that is in my head are the wonderful images and feelings that the music invokes. My words flow onto the page as I intently listen, as if my brain is tapping to the beat. The music assists me in thinking, creating, and understanding.

Classical music is healing. A soothing Bach or Hadyn composition can often hinder the effects of my disabling headaches. Some pregnant women listen to classical music to calm their unborn babies. Many depression patients have had decreased symptoms after listening and feeling the strength of classical music. If certain sound waves are used to break up cancer cells, then why wouldn’t classical music be able to cure a headache or relieve stress? Maybe, believing in a cure is half the remedy. The experience of classical music is one shared by many and argued by few. It has been known to relieve symptoms, increase concentration, and lower breathing rates; soothing may not fully describe this music, amazing even falls short. I believe in the power of classical music.