Brigette - Corona/California, California

I believe in a mother’s firm rule. I believe that every parent in the world has the ability to control his or her child’s actions. Living in a family of two younger and two older siblings has made me realize how important my belief is. As I sit in my history class I listen to my teacher, but occasionally he will get off the topic of history and lecture about the difference between kids these days and kids his days. He is shocked and amazed at the differences. He recalls asking his mother for something and when she responded with a “no” the conversation was over. Now a day after the parent says “no” we kids will follow them with a tornado of questions. We will bicker, moan, cry, and get furious at our parents until we get our way. These days, in my generation we take the old saying “It’s my way or the highway” seriously.

I am the middle child of the family. Below me I have my two younger stepsisters and above me I have my two older brothers. Growing up my parents always taught me that being good gets you rewards. So knowing that, as I young kid I strived to be the best. My brothers were taught the same but since they were boys they got no reward. As I look onto my sisters I realize my youngest sister who is now seven was never taught this concept. She is like the average kid, these days. If she does not get what she wants when she wants it she will go to extreme lengths to get it. I pity her because she has never learned what strict discipline is and will probably never lean, all for the sad fact that my parents never had the time to teach her. They were never there when she thought she was doing good or bad so they could either praise or punish her, so she doesn’t know what’s acceptable.

As I take a walk around the park I see teenagers as myself smoking, drinking, having sex in plain daylight and I walk on thinking about what their mother taught them at home about what’s right and what’s wrong in this world we live in. I can only imagine that they were the kind of kids that when they wanted to go out their mothers would ask where and they would lie, and with that they would leave. My mother has been the same with all my brothers and sisters. If we want to go somewhere we better have a notepad telling where, with whom, for how long, why, and all the numbers I could be reached at. Rarely did they let us go if we had one of those requirements missing.

With all that said I believe that a mother has the right to be firm and to be able to control their child. She should be a responsible enough to ask questions and be strong and clear as to get answers from her child.