Alexandra - Corona, California

I believe in love and marriage for all genders and sexual orientations. Classically, marriage is thought to be between a male and a female. If you were brought up under a religious background, you were probably taught that homosexuality is a sin, something to be looked down upon and condemned. With my beliefs, I hope to shatter the skewed views of society and bring some truth into the light.

Being a teenager, in my few years of junior high and high school I have already come across some pretty amazing people. People that love and care for me. People that have ambition. People who have warm hearts, some who just happen to be homosexual or bisexual. When I think about them not being able to vow their love to another person, not being looked upon as a suitable parent for adoption, and just overall being someone people consider wrong, it tears me up inside. Who has the kind of power and authority over someone to tell them who they can and cannot love? Love is something that comes from your soul, something that is uncontrollable, and something that is NOT a choice.

I came across a song a while back called “Dear Mr. President” by a female singer named Pink. In her song she speaks of many aspects of our current President’s views and beliefs that she disagrees with him on, one of them being the President’s outlook on gay marriage. A lyric from her song says, “What kind of father would take his own daughter’s rights away? And what kind of father might hate his own daughter if she were gay?” It astonishes me that something like loving someone of your same gender could prevent a parent from loving their own child. A product of their parents own love for each other.

For many of us skepticism comes from the word and teachings of the bible. In the bible it tells us that homosexuality is a sin. I refuse to believe that a God I am praying to and worshipping would prevent LOVE from happening, regardless of the gender. To me God is love, and he would never frown upon us for following his message and essence.

All in all, I believe in love for all genders. Love for all orientations. Love for all humans. In our lives, happiness is to love and be loved. Whether it is from someone of the same gender, it should not matter. After all, love is what makes the world go’ round.