Huda - 11211, Egypt
Themes: carpe diem

I do believe that it is not always green on the other side.

When I was a child, I was always thinking of the future when I grow up and be an adult that holds his own responsibility. I was eager to try being away of my family and my friends that I brought up with. I wanted to join a university that is away of my town in which I live in to hold a responsibility of myself. I was always imagining preparing my own breakfast, going to the market to get my own stuff, and washing my clothes. I always thought I would be happier that way than sharing my life with my family.

I grew to be 18-year-old girl and joined the university. I went to a university in Cairo which is totally far from my town. I lived in a hostel alone with new people and new students that I almost know nothing about them. I hold my own responsibility. I was happy at the beginning to be my self-supervisor, but I got tired by the time. I couldn’t match between my academic life and my social and personal life. It was hard for me to prepare my lunch and at the same time study for the midterm. It was hard to have papers to do while I have to wash my clothes because I have nothing clean to wear in the next day. I found it is really hard to deal with such a situation while I was just 18 years old.

I remembered when I was young wishing to be an adult. I regretted having such wishes. I just wished then if my mother had been with me to help me as she always used to do. I knew the value of being home studying in a warm atmosphere. I just woke up on a harsh reality where I am alone having everything to do by myself. Just then, I realized the fact that it is always green on the other side. I always believed that everything around me is green and my spot is the only yellow and dry one. I always believed that when I wait for my future and become eager to live it, I would always find it green and flowery as I expected.

Now waiting for things to happen is one of the things I hate the most. I know believe that the moment I live is the greenest moment, while thinking much about the future is yellowish and boring. I learned living my day and enjoy everything moment in it. I learned that my present is always lost while thinking of the future. Anything that happens today, whether it is good or bad, will never be repeated again. It is something unique and interesting to live my present. I do believe that things are not always green on the other side.