Megan - Bartlett, Illinois

If I were to sum up my life in a word, that word would be love. I don’t mean sappy chick-flick love or the love described in overplayed radio hits. I believe in truly loving people: wholeheartedly, intentionally and sincerely. It is this passion that guides my thoughts and actions, a burning fire that cannot help but to warm the lives of others.

There are many different ways in which I love people. I love my parents by giving them respect, by listening to the wise advice they give me, by being obedient. I love my sister by being part of her life, and by being a role model. I love her with laughter, with trips to the mall, with late-night movies. I love my friends by listening to what they say and don’t say, with notes that say “hang in there, you can do it!,” by being a shoulder to cry on. I love them though help with a math problem, a late night phone call, a hand to hold. I love others around me more subtly but with no less passion. I love by holding open a door, by complimenting a shirt, with a “how was your weekend?”

Yet I believe that my love is not an action, but a reaction. I love others because I first was loved: sacrificially, unconditionally, eternally. I used to live a directionless, unfulfilling life of sin. But my God did not create me for such a life. So He sent His Son, My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to die a painful and horrific death. He loved me so much he didn’t want to spend eternity without me. His death gives my life a purpose, which is to serve and glorify Him. What better way to show my devotion to Him but to share His love with others.

Since I may not have the chance to die for love, I try to live each day for it instead. In the big and the small things, because love can change a life. I know that His love changed mine.