Adriana - CORONA, California

This I believe that my past will make a difference in my future. I remember being a child with many thoughts and ideas. I am a middle child, one of nine siblings. I have three brothers, four sisters and one baby sister on the way. My family has always shown loving support no matter what the circumstance. I grew up around brothers and sisters who always looked to make their parents proud. My parents are no longer together but they still contact each other to talk about how the family is doing. My older brothers and sisters seem to have their lives in order, all except for one. Just last year a tragedy occurred. What seemed to be a perfect life was about to change drastically. On October 23, 2006 my sister Elizabeth turned seventeen; we were all excited and anticipating her graduation from High School. My sister received a couple of tickets to a “Don Omar Concert” (one of her favorite singers). Because we had begun to become closer, she decided to invite me and I gladly accepted. This concert was on Friday, October 27, 2006. Unfortunately my sister never got to see Don Omar sing. On our way there we had a car accident and shortly after that my sister was hit by another car. As I waited impatiently for the police, the ambulance, or even my parents to come help, I cried uncontrollably. We were about three hours away from home and the only others with us were her friends that had given her the tickets for the concert. I felt alone and devastated. To our dismay my sister passed away Saturday morning, and my whole family was inconsolable. When she passed away we had to put our grief aside in order to plan her funeral. We had to choose a mortuary and a cemetery to bury her. We also had to choose a tombstone for her and the clothing she would wear. Many families with good income can go purchase those items and pay all of the costs of a funeral. We had to wait to see if we could get the money together to pay for a descent funeral for my sister. We hired a lawyer who was supposed to get the insurance information from the man who hit my sister. We did this in order to pay for all the costs of the funeral. Our lawyer started doing her job by getting all the information together. But, after some time passed she gave up and gave our case to another lawyer. The cemetery demands to be paid in full in order to be able to bury your loved one. We were fortunate enough to receive help from many people. We still needed more than half the money for the rest of the costs of the funeral. This is why I believe that it is my duty to do my best in school and become a lawyer. I feel the need to help people in the same situation as my family, families with very little money and many problems. I believe that this is my future, not only for me, but also for my sister, my family and my whole community. I believe that having lived through that tragedy has made a positive impact on my life. I can become a lawyer and can help many families in need. This I believe.