The Age of Chivalry?

Robert - Conway, Arkansas
Themes: respect

To open a door, to pull out a chair, to escort to a vehicle in the night they are such simple things, yet they mean a good bit more than the effort they require. Women are not treated as kindly as they once were. Real gentlemen are not all men that you pass by each day. That is not to say that there are none, but that they do grow fewer in number. I try to be courteous to all, and sometimes doing so calls for different behavior depending upon to whom the courtesy is extended. I believe that courtesy should be practiced by all, but that men should practice chivalry as well. There should be no line drawn in time when men were no longer expected to exhibit these ways.

In times long passed, such as the time of the troubadour, even little boys were expected to treat ladies in the proper manner. Treatment any less was greatly frowned upon. If you were to happen upon a woman crossing a street, you were to walk alongside her. If you were to take a stroll with your sweetheart, then you would walk closer to the street. Whether or not a man’s wife had a job, he was to provide a decent living for her and show much kindness to she who he adored. Do you not agree that these are not too much to ask of one who would be called a man?

These ways have been neglected by many and completely abandoned by others. You hear of battered wives, abused daughters, rape victims, and the like all the time. Such cruelties have nearly become commonplace. There are far too many men that carry out these atrocious acts. They do these things every day without getting caught. This rubbish should not happen.

Chivalrous ways do not intend to insult or deny the strength, ability, or competence, in anything, in any way, of any woman, they are but, what I believe to be the duty of all sons, brothers, and husbands. We value, greatly, the women in our lives; therefore, we should show our appreciation. After all, if we had no happy women, where would we be?

These beautiful people give us life, our own and our children’s. They are the mothers who read bedtime stories and cure all things with bandages and chicken soup. They are our sisters who make our lives hell at times while making them equally better at others. They are the women who we hope to spend our lives with. They are not to be placed upon pedestals but a comfy chair would be nice. Let us bring back, (or make more prevalent, at least), the old ways of chivalry. Let there be more true gentlemen, more worthy company of our daughters, sisters, wives, and mothers. Let us erase that line in history because they are precious.