Jamie - Stuttgart, Arkansas

I believe that kids today have it made. X-boxes, iPods, PSPs, cell phones, and email are just a few of the tools kids use every day. It is amazing how times have changed! Whatever happened to hide-and-seek, hopscotch, and freeze tag?

Long gone are the days of a child going outside to play and inventing new ways to entertain themselves. Now, all kids have to do is “plug and play” and they can escape into a fantasy world. One may choose to get lost in the music of her favorite band, sit behind the wheel of a custom-built Nascar racecar, make the game-winning touchdown as a member of his favorite NFL team, or fight off villains with superhuman powers. The possibilities are almost endless.

Here is something else to think about. When is the last time you saw a kid riding a bicycle? I know, in my neighborhood, most drive golf-carts, four-wheelers, or motorized dirt bikes. Walking a couple of blocks to a friend’s house is rarely even considered.

Also, within a matter of a few years, owning a cell phone went from being a luxury to being commonplace. It is not unusual to see a nine or ten year-old using his/her personal cell phone to call his/her nine or ten year-old buddies on their cell phones. What is up with that?

In addition to cell phones, children are able to keep up with their friends via the Internet whether by email or social websites like Facebook and MySpace. These days, there is virtually no excuse for someone to be “out of the loop” or no know who his dating whom this week.

Shopping online has also become increasingly popular and makes their lives easier. Children no longer have to wait on their parents to drive them to the store. Instead, they can sit in one place and buy almost anything they could possibly want, with the aid of their parent’s credit card, of course. What more could one ask for?

I’ve often heard people refer to the “good ole days,” but in my opinion, there is nothing good about a time that didn’t include MP3 players, life-like gaming systems, or cell phones. I can’t imagine a day without tunes or text messages! So, call us spoiled or whatever you wish because we are the ones who actually live in the “good ole days.” Are you with me?