Alexandria - Kansas City, Missouri

When I was about 6 years old, my cousin, Kerri, came to live with me. It was all fun and games at first, until I realized she wasn’t going to leave. Kerri had become my adopted sister; I had gone from being an only child to being a little sister overnight. Little did I know, at the time, how much she would affect my life. She is truly my best friend and real life hero. I believe my sister has inspired my life and shaped me into the person I am today.

We grew up like a normal family and we fought like all sisters do. There is a nine year age gap between us, so I was usually the little, annoying sister, when we were younger. Once I got into to high school and she was in law school, things started to change; we became closer. Shopping was the one thing that could always bring us together. As the years went on and I got older, we really started to become friends, best friends. I look to her for advice and comfort in hard times. She is my rock when things go crazy. I know she will always be there for me, no matter what has happened.

There are no words to describe the love I have for my sister. She is breath taking and a great example of what a success is. She has worked hard her whole life to get to where she is; nothing has ever been handed to her on a silver platter. Throughout all the hardships in her life, she has prevailed; there is nothing she can’t do. Kerri is now a successful lawyer and a wonderful wife. She gives me hope for the future and assures me that anything is possible.

There isn’t a day that goes by; when I don’t thank God she came into my life. She has guided me along the road to success in all aspects of life. Inspiration is not a word that I throw around, however Kerri IS my inspiration and she will always be my light at the end of the tunnel. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without her in my life. Who knows where I would be right now, if she hadn’t become my sister.