Children Are a Promise

Patricia - Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Age Group: 65+
Themes: children, family

Walking down Broad Street toward my bus stop, I was not certain my feet were touching the ground. Having just left the doctor’s office where I learned I was going to have a baby. People walked past me, I could feel myself blush. What a wonderful secret! The year was 1959. I was twenty-years-old, and a bride of two years. Sitting on a park bench I began to imagine my life in my new status as a mommy. Breezes began swaying rows of flowers on this gorgeous August afternoon. Closing my eyes, I leaned back, and then it happened! I heard the most exquisite music I have ever heard. At first, I thought it just the wind; but it was distinct, lilting, like a lullaby. I strained to hear it louder; but the more intently I tried, the more illusive it became. As sudden as it came, it left.

Time went on. I filled my days preparing for baby, forgetting about that sweet and haunting melody.

Two months later, stretching out on the bed for a nap, drowsily, I became aware of a subtle flutter deep inside. It was the first movement of my baby. As I lay still, locked in that moment, in the far off distance, again I could hear the enthralling music. It seemed real — it seemed a dream. I tried to capture it and hold it in my mind; but as before, it drifted and faded until it could no longer be heard.

Over the next twelve years I was to have that same feeling as that day in 1959, when in an unsuspecting moment, I again would hear that awesome sound. Three more times, as we were blessed with additions to our family, the phenomena occurred and I would hear again the compelling, ethereal harmony, as if Heavenly violins were in concert. Each time, it would literally take my breath away!

As life went on, captivated in watching my children grow, I didn’t think about the experience, it seemed so surreal. My life was filled with smiles and laughter, submerged in guiding my children into adulthood, and careers. Oh the sheer pleasure watching them begin their lives with chosen spouses. My cup was so full!

One chilly Sunday night in March, 1999, my husband and I were called to the hospital. My daughter was in labor, and our first grandchild was about to make her debut.

Walking into the small, dimly lit room, I observed my daughter sleeping; a small bundle lay across her chest. Tiptoeing to her bedside I kissed my child on her forehead, then peeking inside the pink blanket, planted a kiss on the head of my granddaughter. My daughter opened her eyes and sleepily said. “Isn’t she beautiful?” Awe struck, I couldn’t find words to speak. She continued, “Would you like to hold her?” Picking up the wee bundle and cradling her in my arms, I sat down in a rocking chair by the bed. Such sheer joy washed over me as a tear slowly made its way down my cheek. “Thank you God”, I whispered. Resting my head tenderly over the baby, I gently began to rock, catching a glimpse of my husband across the room wearing an engaging smile. As I closed my eyes in such sweet reverie, it happened again. The music returned. It came so subtle, so sweet, wafting from a faraway place, weaving as it were a spell over me.

As the dawn breaks through the night, I then knew. Like Noah, who saw the rainbow in the sky. It was just like that! I had heard the music — the revelation was given: —— Children are a promise!

The most valuable resource of any country, in the entire world, is it’s children.