Dorota - Catasauqua, Pennsylvania
Themes: children

I believe in roots and wings. A few months ago, I heard a statement: There are two lasting bequests we can give our children: one is roots, the other is wings. I believe that instead of giving all the material things to our precious children, we need to give them something that will stay with them forever, something they can rely on. Without a doubt, parents can buy a car or a toy for their children, but are they going to last? My stepsons are bored playing with a new toy after a few days and it usually ends up in the dark corner of their bedroom. I believe roots will give children identity, and wings will provide them freedom to explore the world on their own.

Anyone, especially children, needs some basics, fundamentals that they can rely on and build their world around. Giving our children identity and heritage, they will succeed in life. If they have roots, they know who they are. My parents gave me strong roots. They taught me the history of my family and my country. My Mom introduced me to the traditions that are essential to my family. I remember going to cemeteries on the first day of November to visit and honor my family members who passed away. I remember singing Christmas songs on Christmas Eve and going to church at midnight. My parents gave me values and morals I still believe in because they are close to my heart. Having the values my parents taught me such as love, faith, tradition, partnership, generosity helped me a lot in my teen and adult years. They helped me find and realize who I am. I built my other values and morals around the roots my parents gave to me. I would like to pass those roots to my children. I want them to have strong roots as I do. I want them to know who they are, and what are they made of. For this reason, I believe in roots.

I believe in wings too. I believe it is the parents’ role to teach their children to fly, to explore the world on their own. It is funny to observe young birds learning to fly. They are very afraid to take the first step. Their parents have to push them from the nest. When young birds finally decide to take the first step, they do not regret it because they can fly and live on their own now. They do not need their parents to help them anymore. Children are just like birds. They have to learn to live on their own too. As parents, we have to give them tools, wings, but they have to face the world on their own. We can help them to a certain point, after that, they have to make their own decisions and mistakes and learn from them. Even though my parents did not approve of my decision to come the USA and be with my husband, they realized they had to let me go. The time of protecting me from the world was over. I had to face it on my own.

I have strong roots and wide wings. I am not afraid of the world. I can deal easier with everyday problems because I know who I am and what I am made of. Future parents, please, give your children roots and wings because all the material things they can get on their own.