Erica - Onida, South Dakota
Themes: love

I Believe In Love

Every girl dreams of finding her prince charming and falling in love. The question is when? When will this great thing that everyone talks about find me? What if it never happens? Is it possible to truly fall in love? My first love was in high school and was a life-changing event for me.

No one can really give a true definition of what love means because it has a different meaning to every person. When I was in seventh grade, I thought love was just knowing who my boyfriend was and calling him every night. But that perspective changed when I was a sophomore in high school and had a huge crush on a senior guy. In school we’d tease each other and talk, but what I didn’t realize was all this little flirty stuff was leading to bigger steps. I remember one of these steps very clearly when he called my house asking me if I would go to the movies with him and one of his friends. I was perfectly fine with this, but there was one little problem: I had never been on a first date…..ever!

A couple days after our date he waited for me after my dance class and we drove around. It was only after a couple of minutes and he asked me to be his girlfriend. Of course I said yes and I was so excited to finally say that I had a true boyfriend. Six months went by with hanging out, holding hands, watching movies, and eating at restaurants when a thought came to me one night that would change our relationship. I knew that it was the perfect time to say what I had been thinking for the last couple of months. I got the urge to say, “I love you” to him, and mean it. What surprised me was he said it back. I felt as if I was getting married or something; that’s how strong the vibe was from both of us. Every night for the next several months we said this to each other, but he would soon have to leave for college.

When he left, it felt as if everything was still the same, except for being separated by 180 miles. We both still loved each other and we continued to say “I love you” each night we talked. Our one year anniversary came and it didn’t even as if like it was supposed to happen. It came so quickly, and it really didn’t feel that it had been a year. Things had been great but I was beginning to feel a change. It was a short time after that I felt our love staring to slip away. It was two months later that I got that dreaded phone call. He called to say we had to end it. He couldn’t do it anymore. It was too far away. He couldn’t afford to come back every weekend to see me. I cried, and cried, and cried, and cried, because I loved him that much. I didn’t want it to be over. He felt right for me, but it was done.

“Love is like the wind; I can’t see it, but I can feel it.” This is my definition of love, which helped me to get that same guy to ask me to be his girlfriend again. And after two months of dating, I can feel that it’s starting to get to the way it was before.

Sometimes love will last forever; nothing can ever stop it. Sometimes love will be short, something causing it to come to an end. But for me, love was like I was dying slowly then coming back to life; I felt love, felt its end, then felt it come back to me. For my own self, I believe in love.