Andrew - Onalaska, Wisconsin

The road less traveled.

I believe that life really is a highway. Just like having several different highways and roads, there are several different highways in life. Everyone always says that life is a journey and you are the traveler. I never really imagined that statement to be truer than when I returned to school after being out of school for several years.

I came to this realization after having to traveling Dubuque Iowa recently. I began to think of the long drive ahead of me, the long winding highway that we would be traveling and the next few hours that we would spend on the road. Now Dubuque is but only a few hours from my home, but it is still the longest trip I have taken in a few years. I began to wonder how to pass the time, make the time go faster, or better yet spend less time on the road at all together. I was wishing there would be a way to allow us to just transport to our final destination, a friends wedding. Finally after spending only a half hour on the road I came to the brutal truth there is no short cut, no bypass, and no possible way to shorten this time that I must spend on the road. I have always explored the physical aspect that as I travel my car must touch the road the entire way to my destination. The car itself must travel over the highway and the tires of the car will touch every inch of the length of highway from my home to our hotel. The highway that we traveled is equivalent to the time that I must spend traveling to the destination. The reality that the car tires are in constant contact with the road the entire time we are traveling. I felt the same about school, as I returned to school to better myself and my family’s well-being, the goal at the end of my journey. I wanted to have a bypass, a faster way though the years that I must spend in class, lectures and group projects. But just like my car tire I have to go though the classes, the lectures and the tests. I must touch every second of my college career, the long winding and sometimes rough road that I must endure. As I continued my journey to Iowa I soon began to enjoy the sights and the people around me and forget the time that had already passed. I began to forget the time ahead and already forgotten the time that had passed. The thoughts of time spent driving had left my mind and I notice the landscape flying by the car window. Before I knew it we were arriving in Dubuque and searching for our hotel. I still have the memories of the all the laughs we had on the way down and hoped for more excitement and relaxation while we were there. The same has happened for me at school, I have begun to open my mind and accept all experiences that are college. Time and the road are no longer at the top of my mind. Only the studies that I must complete and the time to graduation don’t really seem that far off anymore.