An Eye for An Eye

Scott - Dowagiac, Michigan

In the Bible, it says “Thou shalt not kill”, but yet there are thousands of murders every year. It also says “Thou shalt not steal”, and there are also thousands of robberies each year. If a person were to go against the Bible, and even the law, don’t you think that the person should get an equal punishment?

Some people call it “An eye for an eye”, but I just call it fair. I think that if a person was to murder another person, then that person should get an equal punishment and also be killed. Normally when a person murders another person, they go through weeks, or even months of trials before and sentencing happens. Then, when they finally get sentenced, they get a life of free food and shelter paid for by our tax dollars. How is that a punishment? Sure, they’re kind of isolated, but they don’t have to worry about what they have to do for food, or get a house or anything. If it were my way, the person’s punishment would have been decided as soon as they committed the crime.

When civilizations long times ago used “an eye for an eye” for they justice, it worked. Like Hammurabi, from Babylon, he created the Code of Hammurabi. The Code of Hammurabi was a set of 300 laws that were of the “eye for an eye” philosophy. Because he began to use that set of laws they had much less crime in their civilization because people knew what would get done to them if they committed a crime. For example, if the person stole, they would get their hands cut off, if the person struck their superior, they would also get their hands cut off. Now I know some of the laws he made were harsh but I don’t think that we should follow it exactly the way he did, but with a modern spin on it.

So that is what I believe, that since “an eye for an eye” had worked so well in other civilizations before us, why not use it now? So that people will get equal punishment for murder, instead of getting to go to jail for life, but ending up getting out early for “good behavior”. So I believe we should use “an eye for an eye” in our justice system.