James - Novato, California

This I believe-

I truly believe in a life time of learning through experiences , both good and bad.

Some experiences you learn from can bring you great excitement and a feeling of accomplishment , such as when you finally break through that plateau you have been stuck on for months or even years while playing the guitar or drums and all of a sudden you are in that groove that is unexplainable.

Some experiences you learn from can bring you fear , anxiety , and a little self doubt. I felt a little of each when I started taking my EMT classes again this fall after starting the process some 15 years ago. I passed the class and then just made an excuse not to continue on even though it has always been my dream to be a Paramedic. I believe My excuse was valid although nothing to be proud of. I came upon an accident near my house that I was not prepared for to see , both mentally or training wise , and I could tell by the looks on the firefighters faces that , they too , were having a little trouble taking it in.

Then 15 years later my 10 year old daughter asked why I had quit my goal of being a paramedic when she saw my old certificate. She has known from the day she was born about my passion for being able to help people in distress and then it dawned on me that I was showing her an example of exactly what I have been teaching her not to do for 10 years – not following your dreams and goals.

So with her egging me on with a young child’s persistence , I started my EMT training

again and I couldn’t be happier for the simple reason that , I am teaching her not to loose sight of her dreams even if they may be held off for a little while or 15 years , and I myself am learning about myself in this class in many different ways and the medical part is only part of it.

I feel there was a reason for waiting this long to start classes again and god only knows the reason , but I know now that I am ready as back then I was not. Maybe age has something to do with it , maybe the relief of not having an inner feeling of guilt and failure every time I saw an ambulance pass by knowing that my dream was on it.