I Believe in the Power to Over Come the Media

Jake - Greenwood Village, Colorado

Over the past six months or so there has been a mortgage crisis in the United States. As of Friday the 21st of September, one hundred and fifty nine mortgage businesses have gone out of business. This is a very serious matter in my household because, my mother, Catherine Stroud, is in the mortgage business. She works for CTX Mortgage. She has been working there for over twenty years and hopes to keep working there. However, majority of the population across the U.S. is not aware of what my mother is going through right now because the Media has sheltered the American people from knowing how bad this Mortgage crisis really is.

Every day my Mom arrives home from work she cannot seem to wipe off the sadness from her face because reality has hit her hard and she has realized that her company might go under. My Mom doesn’t fear of money problems but fears of losing long time friends to the mortgage crisis that is sweeping the nation like a silent assassin. Every day this terrible mess is overthrowing companies. With each passing day, there are hundreds left unemployed and no one in the U.S. knows extent of the damage except for the people who have faced this already or have fear that this will become there outcome.

While my Mom and many others face the thought of unemployment, the media has sugar coated this situation so that the American people do not over react and go into panic mode. If CTX goes out of business not only will my life be personally affected but also, hundreds of others will have to find a new employer and a fresh start. My family would have to transfer me out of Kent Denver School and into a public school system like Cherry Creek. Although that would not be a terrible thing for me to transfer to a public school, it is the friend ships that would be lost and a great education that I can no longer be privileged to. My family would not longer be able to afford the house we enjoy to live in and we would have to move to another part of town. Most of these things are not life altering but they are little things that would quickly change my life and many others around America. In some cases the life change can be dramatic and even lead to house four closures and bankruptcies.

This mortgage crisis is a serious issue that is sweeping the nation, killing off business one by one, like an infectious disease. The media has hidden the full extent of this crisis from the American people and it needs to be stopped.