Maria - Minneapolis, Minnesota

The power to feel and the passion to learn from the worst situations is a distant dream that so many wish to capture. And after the capture, the fear of being unsuccessful comes into play. For any who may be so fortunate to have overcome some horrendous events have the chance to choose a less rugged path to the acceptance of life, as a human on Earth.

For me, a person who openly accepts past mistakes, I feel obligated to make right the wrongdoing which I have committed. However, I find it extremely difficult to do so, as if I were to climb a mountain of mixed emotions and faithlessness. On this journey I become overthrown with guilt – the common monster in everyday life – and the opportunity of failure. The acknowledgement of this tight gut feeling is good on the brain, but confuses the soul and the heart. In this way muscles get tired and wish for a rest from the hike that was not begun too long ago. The opportunity to give up and give in to the aches is in reach. Suddenly it is thrown away and the goal is set back in motion.

I believe in the overwhelming power of guilt. This is the puppet-master that tries to control my life. Whenever the chance of a lifetime comes into play, only failure sticks out. The time passes and the guilt grows. The strings pull me away from success and they turn me around and back and forth when unproductive and vain.

The hard to believe, but the easy to accept, is now coming into view. Everyone has heard of it and most have gone through it. But it is only the people who are unable to end up on the other side that truly understand guilt. Even if someone once was left in the shadows, they will try so hard to forget and let go that it becomes impossible to take back the knowledge and be able to relate to the others left behind.

The cycle continues and the guilt grows with every mistake; even the smallest mistakes are noticeable to the person making them. Now commanding the puppet master by cutting off the strings, it is a tremendous feeling to be able to control and possess the feelings of one’s heart. Guilt grows uncontrollably, takes strikes and those who are week and slashes down the morality of anyone.

I believe in the power of guilt. And I want to show friends, family and even foes this power. Do not get me wrong, I hate to see others controlled by guilt. This is merely to state that I recognize and believe, deeply believe, in all that the power of guilt may do.