I Believe in Being Involved with Sports

Will - Fenton, Michigan
Themes: sports

“Did you get all your homework done?” is always the last thing my mom says to me as I leave for hockey practice. When I get home from school not only do I have to do my homework but I also have to eat and get ready all in about two hours. By playing a sport I have a better understanding of responsibility. This is a skill that will also help me as an adult trying to juggle work and the home life.

For the last two years I have been working towards my goal of making it to the U.S Select 15 Festival in Sault St. Marie, Michigan. This year I finally achieved my goal and made it. Through playing sports I have learned to set a goal and strive towards achieving it, which is a skill I can use my whole life. By doing so, I will live a more productive life.

“There is no I in team,” is a phrase that I have heard my whole life. If I did not play hockey than I don’t believe I would have truly understood it. Teamwork is a concept that does not only apply to sports but also to other activities. For example when I become a business man my boss may ask me to work on a project or presentation with a fellow employee, understanding the concept of teamwork will help me accomplish the task and make doing so easier and faster. Actually being able to work with others will make life in general a lot easier.

Through playing sports I have learned three extremely important life skills. These will help me as an adult too. Most importantly I have had tons of fun playing sports. Not only that, I get a lot of exercise in doing. This keeps me healthy and in good shape.