Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

Hilary - Englewood, Colorado
Themes: purpose, sports

Often people struggle with the idea that bad things happen to good people. Intellectually, I thought I understood the idea but had never personally experienced it. Without having experienced what I would consider a bad occurrence, I didn’t know the struggle in grasping this concept. However, after going through a horrible experience, I now believe that everything happens for a reason.

Ever since I started playing soccer when I was five years old, it has been an enormous part of my life. Early in my soccer career coaches encouraged me to pursue the goal of playing on a competitive team. I took their positive encouragement and channeled it towards earning a spot on my first competitive team in fifth grade. From there, I slowly grew more committed. Then, two years later, everything came crashing down. My team and I were at the peak of our season until our game took a turn for the worst. The game seemed to be entirely in our hands when out of nowhere an opposing player slide tackled me from behind, cleats up. The blow to my leg sent a piercing pain through my entire body.

I suffered a shattered fibula and lay immobile for three long, painful, months. Only then was I able to slowly start my physical therapy and rehabilitation. I thought as soon as I made it through the tortuous rehab everything would gradually fall back into place. Apparently, my coach, Andrew Kummer, had something else in mind. He thought that my recovery hadn’t been fast enough. I was cut from the roster, deserted, with nowhere else to go. I couldn’t imagine anything worse. Not only had I lost my position on the roster, I also lost my team and my best friends. I couldn’t see how any good could possibly come from such a horrible situation.

I realized that if I still wanted to play soccer at this level I couldn’t give up. I began to work even harder than before to show Andrew that he made a huge mistake. Finally, tryout time rolled around. David Kramer, the coach at a different club called Colorado Real, offered me a spot on his team! Just about every emotion pulsed through my body. I was ecstatic, relieved, and nervous, but most of all I was proud. I had come such a long way since I had broken my leg, and I had finally rebounded from all the disappointment and tears the last year had brought.

I am still currently playing for Colorado Real National and am happier beyond belief. My teammates have become my best friends. As I look back on my experience of being cut from my old team, it’s sad remembering how heartbroken I was. But after everything I’ve gone through, I smile knowing that I’m better off. I realize that being cut from my old team was the worst and best thing that has ever happened to me, and has I now believe that everything happens for a reason.