Jody - Elgin, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

One thing that has remained structured in my way of living is a certain belief. I believe in living in the present. A person should not continually contemplate about the future or reminisce about the past. Lessons are to be learned from the past and wisdom gained so as not to make the same mistakes in the future but, otherwise, let life weave its course based on the way a person lives in the present. A particular portion of my life has led me to establish this belief.

When I was younger, around the age of five, an event completely turned my younger brother’s life and my own life around. We were taken away from our biological mother and put into foster care. Next our aunt and uncle took us in and we have been living with them ever since. The decision was not made short term. The decision was made after a long period of neglect on our mom’s part. She neglected to take care of us which included discipline, food, and education. After all this time, it can be expected that I would harbor negative feelings towards still but I do not. I base my feelings towards her on how she is at present when I talk to her or see her. In the somewhat distant past, as I was naïve, I continually structured my feelings towards my mom based on her actions in the past. I did not believe people could change but my mom showed through her actions that I was wrong. My mom is bipolar and she refused to take her medicine, worsening her condition. Once she began taking her medicine and thinking sensibly, she lived life in the moment and enjoyed it for what it was and still does. My mom is an example that strengthens. She takes life day by day, never knowing what to expect but never worrying about it. She does not try to change the past as that is impossible. She remembers and regrets but does not dwell on it.

As I presently believe and will always believe unless it is proven wrong, I believe in living in the present. This I believe.