Believe in Someone

Jacques - Englewood, Colorado

I believe that belief or trust in something can help me get through my problems. It doesn’t matter for me if I believe in God, if I believe in myself, or if I believe in others. If I truly believe in one of them, I will be able to face any problem without the least bit of stress or anxiety.

Once I was told a scary story at a camping trip. The story involved an evil house where everyone that entered inside mysteriously died in the house. At the time, being in a large and dark forest in a tent at night, the story was very frightening to me. I was so frightened that I decided to do something that I rarely had done before: I prayed. I prayed that God would keep me safe and not let any harm come to me. After I prayed, I felt a new sense of protection that I had not felt before, not even from my parents. Now of course I am not sure whether or not God exists. I am not sure that that night when I was scared, God actually physically made me feel better. Any scientist, and many of my friends, would say that it’s just my brain calming itself down, and that nothing supernatural or spiritual is occurring. I do not doubt them; all I know is that for some reason, I felt better. To this day when ever I feel anxiety, stress, or fear I pray and am able to cope with my problem. I always feel sorry for those that don’t believe in God (and by no means am I the type to criticize someone for their religious beliefs, nor do I ever try to convert anyone for not believing in what I believe) because they have very little to turn to for guidance or help.

This belief in a higher power that can do anything is reassuring. However, believing in God is not necessary in order for me to cope with my problems. When I believe and trust in myself and my peers my anxieties are always able to be managed. Having good friends, who are there for me, just like God, helps me along the way and gives me strength. I have found that since I have believed in God and had good friends, I have been much more content and happy with my life.

Knowing that problems will weave themselves out with the help of others or that I have the power to make sure they do is always a reassuring fact. Believing in something higher than myself, believing in myself, or even believing in others will always help me cope with my problems, however large or insignificant they might be. That is what I believe.