I Believe in Miracles

Matthew - Lafayette, IN, Indiana

I believe miracles can happen to anybody. Miracles can be associated with life and death situations. Miracles can also occur by overcoming physical and mental conditions. It can also mean beating the odds. Miracles can happen in many different situations. In everybody’s life, people experience many unexpected turns. In my life, if it wasn’t for miracles, I might not even exist.

At the age of three, I was just like any ordinary baby. All of a sudden, I became very sick. My parents took me in to see a doctor to make sure I did not have anything serious. The doctor explained that I just had the flu and I would get better in the next few days. After my visit with the doctor, I returned home. Within the next few hours, my parents had a talk with each other because they knew something was not right. I became more and more sick and my fever reached over one hundred and three degrees. Again, my parents went to take me to the doctor. This time they went to the emergency room where I was treated. They did a few tests on me to see what was going on with my body. When the nurse returned, it appeared that I had meningitis. Meningitis is an illness that surrounds the spinal cord and the brain. During my stay at the hospital, I continued to become ill. I was at the point where I could not function. I was prescribed to many different kinds of medications in the hope that I would get better before it was too late. Over the next few days, I started to recover. The meningitis did some damage to my inner ear. The doctor told my parents that meningitis had destroyed the cochlea inside both of my ears, leaving me profoundly deaf. Also, the doctor said that I would have a hard time with my balance and movements. As a result of the nerve damage, I had to learn how to walk again because my brain could not remember. I also had to take many years of speech therapy to help get my speaking skills on track. Since I was hearing impaired, the best solution was to get hearing aids in both ears.

I believe that my parents were my miracle. I strongly believe that they were a gift from God to help me guide my way though life. Basically, my parents were the people who had saved my life. They were not like most parents who would of just listened to the first doctor and hoped that their child would get better. My parents used their judgment and their hearts to know that something wasn’t right. It seems like the older I get, the more I appreciate them. Thankfully, I do not remember anything that happened during my illness and hospitalization.

Even though I was glad to be alive, I still was not satisfied. As a child, I became very aggressive. This was mostly because of my frustration of not being able to hear very well with my hearing aids. Again, another miracle was waiting to happen. I remember this day like it was yesterday. When I was seven years old, I was introduced to a device called the cochlear implant. This implant is equipped for profoundly deaf people only. Since I was so dissatisfied with my hearing aids, I was willing to have a major surgery to put this device inside my head. Right before surgery was the scariest time of my life. This operation had not been done very often because it was very new. About three months of letting my stitches heal and no hearing, it was time to get hooked up with the new device. I remember my whole family being there with me, my grandparents, aunt, my mom and dad, and my brother. They knew how long I had waited for this day. I remember the moment I got hooked up. It was like a whole new world opened up to me. I was the happiest person alive because I was able to hear again. I remember being outside and I could hear the hammers pounding on a construction sight from a mile away. I was shocked. I was so happy that I sang my ABC’s all the way home from Indianapolis.

The cochlear implant was another miracle for me. The device seemed to be available to me at the right place at the right time. This event marked a new beginning for me. I was no longer aggressive or dissatisfied. Instead, I became a good person. Without my family, the happiness inside of me wouldn’t exist. As I mentioned before, I believe that my parents were my miracle.

I am blessed to say that I have the best parents in the world. I think that when someone experiences a miracle, it makes you want to be that miracle to someone else. At the same time, it makes me want to help other people to overcome their problems. I want to be that person that makes a difference in someone else’s life.