Kyle - Sandwich, Massachusetts
Themes: love, question, work

I read an article the other day in the Cape Cod Times. There was a poll that was taken based in Massachusetts, about how many people actually enjoy their jobs. Believe it or not, 98 out of 100 people actually enjoy what they do to make money. Actually, don’t believe that, because it was a lie. I don’t know the real estimate of how many people actually enjoy working, but the one thing I do know is I hate my job, and that alone should be enough to answer the question.

So I started working for Stop & Shop exactly one year ago. There were days when I had fun, and then there were the days when I was ready to type up my Two-Week’ notice. And even when I thought that was bad, eventually came the days when Two-Week notice wasn’t even a consideration, and I began to prefer the idea of just quitting and getting out of that place. However, throughout the struggle and the aggravation, I sucked it up and realized I need this job because I need the money. Also, the fact that I can decide my own schedule is pretty amazing.

Anyway, if you must know the real reason work became such a pain, I would say it’s probably because I have a girlfriend. Someone in my life I’ve never felt so strong for, or had fun with more than I ever have had with anyone else. Should this girl be the reason I stress work so much? Well, no matter what you want to say, it all starts with morals. Could you live with love and without money? Or would you give up love to have money? Or must you force yourself to make money to take care of the one you love, so much that it stresses you over the edge?

To be quite honest, the truth goes back to the original humans, the cavemen who hunted for food and took care of their family. Of course, back then there was no currency and no jobs so obviously the question cannot be asked towards their way of life. However, it can be asked that if these people were alive today, with the same morals and ethical standards but with the knowledge of being able to live in this day and age, would they allow work to overrun their lives and their relationship? Or could they give up work to better the standards of their family?

No matter where you go, there will be someone charging you money for food, for a place to live, means of transportation, and just about anything you can use to satisfy your life. The point I am trying to get at is the fact that lately now more than ever, especially with my own family, I have noticed that work has been able to overrule the lives of families; So much that it is breaking up families, and no one is doing a thing about it.

It is time to realize the important factors of life. Happiness, love, family, friends. As we have grown as a population and as our technology revolutionizes, we forget about these factors. We must learn to look deep into our hearts to remember these important things, so that we do not lose them. Eventually if we continue to forget these life tools, we will revolutionize ourselves into the most unhappy beings on this planet. We are digging ourselves into a hole, a real deep hole, and the only thing helping us climb out is love.

And so I sit here, with the world in my hands, and the opportunity of change within grasp. I want to take it, but the question is, should I? Is it my responsibility to change the world? I have one thing I have to focus on; being happy. As important to me as money is, I will not allow it to be the reason I do not spend every day with my girlfriend, or be the reason that I can’t make everything special for her so that she feels she is the luckiest girl in the world. And when I tell myself how many things I want to make special for her, I realize it isn’t my responsibility to change the world, it’s just what I want to do. My reasoning is that one day I will have money from work, but I will also be very happy because the times that are most important to me, when my girlfriend needs me most, I will be there for her instead of being at work. Do the same thing, and notice the positive change.